Turkish Ammo Safe for FG42?
 Main Discussions   Started by Jay Bushman   2023-03-06 12:18:23 -06:00   Comments: 3    Viewed: 650

1. Jay Bushman
    Jay Bushman Member
    Hello, Just curious what kind of ammo is safe to use in the FG42? I understand that the Turkish surplus, the most plentiful and cheapest, runs very hot and that that can cause issues in some firearms. Is this the case for the FG42 or is it robust enough to handle them? If the Turkish surplus is not acceptable, does anyone have any suggestions on where and what brand to buy? Any help is much appreciated as I plan on thoroughly using the beauty! Thanks!
    Jay Bushman, 2023-03-06 12:18:23 -06:00
  2. Bryan Smith
    Bryan Smith Administrator Staff Member
    The use of reloads or military surplus ammunition will VOID the factory warranty of your firearm. There are a number of signs that can be used to know if factory loads were used and we will NOT repair damages to any of our firearms damaged by either reloads or military surplus ammunition. Use ONLY newly manufactured commercial 8mm Mauser loaded to SAAMI specifications. SIDENOTES TO USERS/OWNERS: Others have warned about this ammo: https://www.forgottenweapons.com/why-we-dont-use-turkish-8mm-surplus/ Standard 8mm is around 2400fps and the Turkish is around 3000fps. We have had a customer use this ammo in his FG42-2 about 6 years ago and blew the bolt to the rear with such force, it split the stock and the escaping chamber pressure blew the guts out of the magazine. This is not a matter of how well a firearm it "built", it's a matter of we built the rifle to run on standard 8mm ammo. We use PPU 198gr FMJ as our test fire ammo. We know that commercial 8mm has gotten expensive but if you spend 6k+ on a rifle please DO NOT feed it the cheapest ammo you can find. It's like putting drip gas you made yourself in your brand new Corvette, you're going to get the performance you don't want. I hope our customers will heed the warning here and that others have posted all over the internet and stay away from the Turkish ammo(unless you use it in the 29 inch barrel Turkish Mauser it was designed for) Please only use known good, newly manufactured commercial ammunition in your SMG firearms.
    Bryan Smith, 2023-03-06 15:29:26 -06:00
  3. Jay Bushman
    Jay Bushman Member
    Very sorry, I didn't know. Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me though, and thank you for the source. I agree it is foolish to spend so much on a firearm and then use cheap ammo; I only ask because I have heaps of it laying around from when I had my 98K. I will make sure to use only the best!
    Jay Bushman, 2023-03-07 17:58:35 -06:00
  4. (You must log in or sign up to post here)

Write your reason

Terms & Conditions!
Help!